Performing a MANOVA in SPSS

April 25th, 2006 andris

Ivy sent us an e-mail about investigating the interaction effect of independent variables. MANOVA (multivariate analysis of variance) is a statistical procedure that allows you to determine if a set of categorical predictor variables can explain the variability in a set of continuous response variables.

In SPSS you can perform a MANOVA as follows:

- Choose Analyze -> General Linear Model -> Multivariate.
- Move the DVs (dependent variables) you want to examine to the Dependent Variables box.
- Move any categorical IVs (independent variables) to the Fixed Factor(s) box.
- Move any continuous IVs to the Covariate(s) box.
- Click OK and there you have your output.

If you have any more questions about MANOVA or ANOVA, submit your questions!

Entry Filed under: 3b. Heavy statistics with SPSS,Questions and answers

18 Comments

• 1. James G. Shi  |  August 17th, 2006 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for your explanation. I am now using SPSS 12.0. There is no Multivariate under Gnenral Linear Model, only Univariate.
    Do you know what is wrong? Thanks.

• 2. andris  |  August 18th, 2006 at 12:56 am

Hello James G. Shi,

Since we do not have that version on our hands, I cannot tell you for sure. From what I have found in Google, the function has a different place in SPSS 12:

“nothing has been withdrawn from SPSS 12,
    but ANOVA and MANOVA are no longer
    available from the menus. They can be
    accessed from command files, see
    Help > Command Syntax Reference and
    select Commands.”

I hope that helps you. If not, I would advise you to contact SPSS Support.

• 3. James G. Shi  |  August 19th, 2006 at 9:35 am

Dear Andris,

Thanks a lot for your information. I have found the Syntax for MANOVA according to your direction.

Blessings!

• 4. Pindaro  |  February 8th, 2007 at 10:46 pm

Do you want us to go crazy? Where is the MANOVA in SPSS 14?

• 5. Doug Hsieh  |  February 28th, 2007 at 11:44 am

How can conduct a multivariate analysis of variance with step-down MANOVA in SPSS 13? I have 4 dependent variabls and a four levels of independent variables like race. Thanks.

• 6. Charlane Pereira  |  March 6th, 2007 at 11:00 am

what are continuous variables?

• 7. Charlane Pereira  |  March 6th, 2007 at 11:00 am

what are continuous IVs?

• 8. nat  |  May 14th, 2007 at 5:42 am

why do we use manovas? is it if there is more than one dependent variable or idependent variable? thanks for your help

• 9. Russell  |  May 15th, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that the student version does not support MANOVA. Is this what you guys are experiencing as well? I only see the following scenario: listed Analyze -> General Linear Model -> Uniriate. If anyone can help me out with how to run MANOVA in a student version or if it is supported, I would be thankful to find out.
    Russell

• 10. Russell  |  May 20th, 2007 at 2:37 pm

graduate pack will solve the problem listed above. The student pack does not support MANOVA application.

• 11. Ahlem  |  June 14th, 2007 at 8:52 am

hi
    I have version 13 of SPSS and was blocked for a while because i thought i need to use commands to run MANOVA. you made my day. From Tunisia

• 12. Lindita  |  March 9th, 2008 at 2:10 pm

I have the SPSS version 11. I was wondering how to perform MANOVA on this version. There is no “multivariate” option. Thanks.

• 13. Suresh  |  March 17th, 2008 at 4:31 am

Hi
    I am comparing the two post operative protocols for 2 groups of patients, Group 1 will receive protocol 1 and group 2 will receive protocol 2. I am taking repeated measurements at 3rd, 6th and 8 weeks.
    Please guide me in selecting the statistical method to find out differences between 2 protocols. Can i use Multivariate analysis of variance?

• 14. elizabeth  |  April 2nd, 2008 at 12:46 am

Hello,
    When we enter say the Dependent Variable into the DV box? How do we enter the levels of the DV? For example, Stress with two levels, level A andlevel B.

Also the same for Independent variables, with say three levels, say Geogprhaical area, CIty, Regional and Remote.

Thankyou in advance.

• 15. Ram Viswanathan  |  April 11th, 2008 at 4:37 am

Can somebody kindly tell me how to do Canonical Analysis in SPSS. I have only version 11.

• 16. gladys vint  |  May 7th, 2008 at 9:00 am

Could anyone tell me the steps to use to run a Two-way MANOVA using the SPSS Graduate Pack?

I have 1 fixed IV with 3 levels, then another repeated IIV (time) and 3 Dependant variables.

• 17. Luke  |  June 27th, 2008 at 1:44 pm

MANOVA uses more than 1 independent variables

• 18. Gabriela Ilie  |  September 18th, 2008 at 6:40 pm

Hi,

Does anybody know ho to perform a Roy-Bargmann on SPSS version 16 (MAC version)? Thanks a million!

Gabriela